Monday, August 9, 2010

Its REPUBLIC of GEORGIA to you Mr. !

As my time ends as an Americorps volunteer at the International Rescue Committee I am asked by many what I plan to do next with my life. The conversation usually goes something like this.

"So Brittani, what are you going to be doing after your term is up?"

"...uh..well... I think that I am going to go to the Republic of Georgia to teach English"

"Oh! I love Georgia!" they squeal back " they have really wonderful peaches and...wait why are you teaching English to English speakers?"..

" Oh No...Its the REPUBLIC of Georgia..." I remind them

Huh?" they question...

"The...REPUBLIC of GEORGIA... you know near Turkey?...

"Uh.....! Well GREAT! Good luck..When do you leave?".

" August 29th"

" Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatttttttttt?!"

Deciding to go to Georgia was a very quick, and truthfully hard decision to make. It would be my first time going abroad, and my first time living more than five hundred miles from both of my parents. Throw in realizing how hard it is to live in a new culture, having worked with refugees who dealt with that hurdle each day, yet wanting to prove to myself that I CAN do it, and that my skills are needed in this wonderful country. So here I go turning in my papers to a Greenheart representative, canceling any future interviews I have, and withdrawing my applications from previous interviews to risk embarking to a new country. Luckily it is going to cost $4,000 dollars to back out ( refund amount for the airfare) so any nerves that I have are going to be dealt with head on! Here I come Georgia! Republic of Georgia that is! :)

xoxo
Brittani

2 comments:

  1. I'm thinking of applying to the Georgia program for a January start date, I can't wait to hear more about this adventure from all the people there now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also thinking about applying to the Georgia program for the January start date. Looking forward to learning your experiences. Please write all about it when you get time.

    ReplyDelete